Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving __ Before, During, And After

 
"I was smiling yesterday, I am smiling today and I will smile tomorrow. Simply because life is too short to cry for anything" ~Author Unknown~
 
Every year as Thanksgiving approaches I start reflecting on things I am thankful for such as family.  This time of the year is very difficult being so far away from my Florida family, knowing they are together without me,  celebrating in fun.  The tradition in the Bishop household (Orlando) is to wake up early to a big breakfast , and to lay out the strategy for the day.  Mommie always give us duties that hardly ever seem to get done (by Yasha mostly.. lol). I pitch in here and there but I claim the title of GUEST since our family travels in to visit. Mommie won't admit it but she loves the hustle and bustle of her kids/grandkids moving around getting in her way and doing absolutely nothing to help.

As we prepare to sit for dinner, sometimes (if we remember) everyone has to say what they are thankful for at the dinner table. To date, we have never shed a tear but we do have a few laughs along the way. At the end of the day I love my family and I am so thankful no matter where I am I feel included and loved.

With a sadness, a tear drop and now a smile, I have to say this year I will not make it to Florida, however a change of attitude is needed and that is exactly what I did, changed my attitude.

What am I thankful for... family, friends, my house, my job, good health ...LIFE! This Thanksgiving will be GREAT, because I am claiming it!

Thanksgiving Eve
 
Dinner at Ivy's, it sounds so sophisticated right? WHEW, is all I can say about this week. I have to laugh now because up until the actual the day the event planning process was nerve wrecking to say the least.  A intimate gathering for a few family memberss turned into a full fledged mass of confusion.  Whats on the menu Ms. Ivy ... Turkey, green beans, dressing, rolls and sweet potatoe pie. The 100lb turkey had been cooking since 12 o'clock that day so by 7pm it was still not done. Lavonda saved the day with the single family size turducken. Obviously it was not enough for everyone but no one complained besides it was 1st come 1st serve,  get in where you fit in moment! I loved it!!!!! Who says you need meat for Thanksgiving o_O

Thanksgiving Day .. A Day of Thankfulness and Servitude

Whats on the menu for today Tiffany.... Baked turkey breast in a bag, mustard greens with smoked ham hocks, red potatoe salad, rolls and butter pound cake. I must say, although it was last minute I did my thing, and put my foot up all in that.  (So say I)

Moment of Giving~
I have always wanted to involve my kids in community projects especially when it involves giving back to others.  My son Malik ONeal and I went to the Humble Civic Center to volunteer with serving others that are not as fortunate. We arrived a little late (CPT)... but I was pleasantly suprised at the turn out of givers and receivers.  We checked in at the volunteer station and was to told to find a spot, any spot.  Not to be discouraged but we went from station to station asking for a opportunity to help, the majority of the stations were full with volunteers but we squeezed in at the drink station for a bit. I have to say filling cups with ice and pouring sweet tea was not that exciting but seeing all those faces was a defining moment.  All in all it was an amazing feeling helping others, giving back and being apart of something epic. At the end, we got us a to go plate for the road.

Love of a family~
Tiauna arrived home just in time to join us for dinner at Aunt Tameria and Uncle Charles house.  Late as always, we arrived just in time to fix a plate, heat it up in the microwave and catch the last quarter of the Texans' game. After eating up some food, we all sat around talking, gossiping, and remembering moments with Madea. Listening to my hubby talk about his childhood, and the Grisby sisters talk about their childhood was entertaining. As always when it was time to clean up, I was no where to be found without my camera that is!



The atmosphere was initimate, on point and I actually felt at home. It felt like Family!

At the end of dinner, Tiauna passed out with that NIG-ITIS!



Thanksgiving..The Day After

A day of rest, reflection and did I mention REST? I am off from work, with no plans other than watching TV and the TV watching me!

Happy Holidays

1 comment:

  1. beautiful..... just hate my fat pictures. love yasha

    ReplyDelete