Friday, January 21, 2011

Creamy Pasta Recipe‏

Yall know I have retired my chef hat and I rarely cook except for special occasions or when the children are starving for nutrition. A long long time ago, there was a time I cooked for every occasion, holidays, my family, my job, because it was Sunday after church and just because. Essence magazine was my bff because they have the best recipes ever and I was the recipe queen. Now..pfft! HOWEVER.. as of late in order to save $$ and to tap into my former creative cooking skills, I decided to test the waters. 

Honestly....Christmas Eve was the first time I recreated the master piece below. Do not get it twisted I do not have the cooking bug again, but I did have a moment of clarity. I wanted to make the holidays special for my family since I was not going home to Florida for the holidays. Christmas Eve it was Spicy seafood pasta and Christmas (and a few days after) we did it Louisiana style......Gumbo!

 The recipe below was entered into a cooking contest last year 2010 during a work event to celebrate Juneteenth. The contestant WON the grand prize. Folks were standing in line to get a taste of the creamy spicy creation and man was it worth it..see for yourself

Alfredo Sauce
1/2 cup of butter
1 pint heavy whipping cream
3 tbs minced garlic
3 cups shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt (I used kosher)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use red pepper flakes but I don't like the seeds)
Fresh Parsley

  1. Bring to a boil butter, cream, garlic and parsley.
  2. Reduce to simmer and add cheese until melted
  3. Add salk, pepper and cayenne pepper
  Ingredients: 
1lb penne pasta
 3 to 4 large chicken breast (cut into cubes) 

14 oz sliced smoked sausage
30-40 large peeled and deveined shrimp
1 cup slice onion
1 cup sliced bell pepper
1 tbs olive oil
blackening spice
1 cup salsa ( I like Borders)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
alfred sauce(above)

Directions:
  1. Marinate chicken and shrimp overnight in separate zip lock bags in the blackening spice
  2. Cook penne according to box directions 
  3. Cook bell peppers and onions in olive oil until soft
  4. Add marinated chicken and cook until done
  5. Add smoked sausage and cook another 3 to 4 minutes
  6. Add marinated shrimp an cook until done (additional 5 min)
  7. Add the alfredo sauce and salsa
  8. Add the penne pasta to the sauce
  WA LA--Note: If you suffer from acid reflux, either take your meds triple time or ease up on the cayenne pepper!

1 comment: